One of three ancient parish churches in the county town of Guildford, St Nicolas was built in the twelfth century and prayer has been valid ever since. The parish faces in two directions: sitting as it does at the foot of the town's High Street it is at first sight a town centre church as indeed it is, but the parish itself covers the Guildford hinterland – mainly rural and agricultural as well as the housing sitting in the comfortable southern part of the town.
The Parish includes Loseley Park, the home of More-Molyneux family since around 1509. Their memorial chapel which dates from c1550 is part of the parish church site and sits on the south of the church. You are welcome to visit this oldest monument in Guildford by prior arrangement with the Parish Administrator via email.
Also within the parish is St Catherine's Hill – a listed Grade 1 chapel dating c1300. This wonderful ruin is still in the pervue of the Rector and has royal connections to our castle.
For a video history of our wonderful building click here.
Dr Catherine Ferguson has researched and written the Statement of Significance for St Nicolas' which can be read here:
She has also produced the following video presentations which can be found on our YouTube channel: